We have several ways in which we demonstrate employee appreciation that have been institutionalized in the company:
- We offer highly competitive compensation and benefits, which allows people to work for a start-up, but still be well compensated for their work, in alignment with Trellis’ long-term success. We believe in a total compensation package that may include base, bonus, equity and other employee benefits based on an employee's role, seniority and certain preferences.
- We hold a variety of different virtual and in-person events at the company and departmental levels. For example, in fall of 2021, we held a full company offsite in Austin, TX, which included a volunteer activity building bikes for local disadvantaged kids. We also held a virtual holiday party in early January--run by an outside company specializing in digital-based gatherings--which included basic "cocktail party" type rooms, casino gambling (not for real money), and a whisky-tasting room, among other things. In general, our goal is to hold one in-person all-company meeting annually, and one in-person meeting annually at the department level.
- We recently rolled out a digital program in which employees award their teammates with "digital tacos," integrated into Slack, to recognize day-to-day achievements. Each employee gets 5 tacos to give out a day, so there's a lot of activity. Once you attain 10, you can cash in for a real taco!
- Perhaps most importantly, we strive to have an environment in which our core values--Extreme Ownership, Speed, Collaboration, Craft, and Positivity--are embedded into our work and even measured in our semi-annual performance review process.
At Trellis, we believe that diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging are requirements for a mission-driven culture. There are many tactics we use, but one that we believe differentiates us from other startups is the highly structured and scientific approach to hiring and performance management. In both areas, we ensure that sourcers, interviewers, and managers are zeroing in on objective criteria, attributes, and past behavior in a way that helps to mitigate the risk of unconscious bias, whether it's unfavorable or favorable. The other thing that differentiates us is our commitment–not just now, but for the future – to being a fully-remote company. We don’t intend to return to the office post-pandemic. This has greatly facilitated acquiring talent across the U.S. across key dimensions of diversity, including among working parents.
You should work at Trellis if you:
- Are excited by the mission of making auto insurance simpler and more affordable for the 230 million drivers in the U.S.
- Enjoy and thrive working in a fast-paced, analytically rigorous culture
- Want the start-up life – but also want to be well compensated and recognized for your work
- Embody our core values: Extreme Ownership, Speed, Collaboration, Craft, and Positivity
Assembling kids' bicycles (Skill acquired during a charity activity at our Austin offsite)